Outside Event Procedure
Consistent with the district’s desire to minimize disruptions to the instructional process, the Professional Learning Department will avoid approving renewal credit for activities that occur during student instructional time unless attendance is authorized by the principal.
- Renewal credit can be awarded only for courses, workshops, seminars, or activities that are directly related to an employee's area(s) of licensure and/or professional responsibilities. However, such responsibilities as serving on curriculum or accreditation committees, chairing departmental meetings, sponsoring student activities, and attending certain conferences and clinics do not carry license renewal credit.
- After you have completed your non-GCS event class, you must submit an out of district event request and upload a copy of your certificate of completion or course transcript. Approval of your non-GCS professional development event is not guaranteed. Your submission must include information that will help us determine that the event was reputable and consistent with professional learning guidelines.
- Note the following important points regarding renewal credits:
- As of June 11, 2020, CEU credit cannot be awarded for any course with less than 3 hours of instruction. CEUs are granted for no more than 6 hours of staff development per day.
- Out of district events that occurred before June 11, 2020, must meet the previous requirement of 5 hrs of instruction.
- CEUs are awarded based on the number of hours of training:
- five hours = .5 CEUs
- six hours = .6 CEUs
- ten hours = 1.0 CEUs, etc.
Requests for CEUs must be submitted in the year that the event was attended. Professional Learning and the licensure process is tied to the renewal cycle. The year of attendance and posting of credit must align.
- Conferences, college classes, on-line courses, and Teacher Academy courses are examples of classes that would qualify as events you could enter as an out of district event request.
Persons with questions concerning licensure renewal should contact the Staffing Department at 378-8806. Persons with questions concerning the renewal credit approval process should contact the Office of Professional Learning at 665-8003. You may also review the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) website for the most up-to-date information on CEU requirements and licensure renewal.