Welcome to GCS Service Learning Department
Welcome to the Service-Learning page. Please access the Service-Learning Handbook and other tabs to learn more about Service-Learning and other important information.
SERVICE LEARNING FYI
What are the benefits of Service-Learning for Students?
- Prepare for a Changing World
- Learn the Importance of Collaboration & Teamwork
- Develop Critical Thinking Skills and Innovative Ideas
- Become Creative Problem Solvers
- Develop Global Awareness
- Connect with people while developing skills
- CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
SERVICE LEARNING RECOGNITIONS:
- SERVICE LEARNING HONORS 70-99
- SERVICE LEARNING AWARD 100-199
- SERVICE LEARNING DIPLOMA 200+
3 STEP PROCESS FOR SERVICE- LEARNING HOURS
Hours must be submitted within the semester that they are completed. Hours completed from June-December must be entered into x2vol by the end of December.Hours completed from January-May must be entered by the end of May.SL Approval Forms must be submitted within the semester that service is started with the organization and should be submitted PRIOR to beginning service.
- Student submission
- Verification by the adult overseeing the project
- Final approval by the service-learning coach
PLEASE REVIEW THE UPDATED HANDBOOK!
Starting June 15, 2023, students will fill out service-learning approval forms via X2VOL. The student will see a link that guides them to the service-learning approval form. The link will be located on your homepage of X2VOL. In addition, students can find the link on their school’s service-learning Canvas page. If you have trouble finding this information, please contact your school service-learning coach! Remember, please submit a service-learning approval form BEFORE completing an opportunity. Thank you!
- Volunteer Center- Students can use this portal (https://volunteercentertriad.org/) to be matched with a service based organization.
- Servant Center- Students can sign up to volunteer for the servant center here (https://www.theservantcenter.org/get-involved)
- Greensboro Science Center- (https://www.greensboroscience.org/get-involved/volunteer/index.html)
- Horsepower- A horse therapy non-profit. Sign up to volunteer here (https://www.horsepower.org/vounteer)