Welcome to GCS Service Learning Department
Welcome to the Service-Learning page. Please access the Service-Learning Handbook and other tabs to learn more about Service-Learning and other important information. Service-Learning concerns and questions should currently be communicated with Student Services found here.
Service-Learning Prorate for class of 2022 and 2023
The following prorate is for students in the Class of 2022, and Class of 2023. Class of 2024 and upward will follow the original hour requirement (diploma- 250 hours; award- 100 hours.)
Proration: The following proration will be followed.
Students who have 186 hours submitted will obtain the Service-Learning Diploma.
- Students typically have 185 weeks (Freshman year to Service-Learning Senior deadline including summers) to earn the 250 hours towards the Service-Learning Diploma which equals an average of 1.35 hours per week. 250/185 = 1.35
- Students in high school during the mandatory COVID-19 at-home learning time have had a reduced opportunity to obtain service-learning hours. Based on this, we are prorating the requirement by 64 hours equaling 186 hours. Students did not have the opportunity for in-school experiences for 47 weeks. 185-47=138 138 x 1.35 = 186
Students in High School during COVID-19 who have submitted 75 hours will obtain the Service-Learning Award.
- Based on the above logic, the service-learning award would be reduced from 100 hours to 75 hours. 100/185 = .54 138 x .54 = 75
- Luv Michael- We partner with this non-profit for up to 40 hours of work centered on autism awareness. Students can go here (https://luvmichael.com/volunteer/) to sign up.
- Bully Prevention Month- We will be starting our second bullying prevention cohort of HS students next month. Students can earn up to 80 hours in this cohort. Students can email Tawanda Carpenter (firstname.lastname@example.org) to express interest.
- Volunteer Center- Students can use this portal (https://volunteercentertriad.org/) to be matched with a service based organization.
- Servant Center- Students can sign up to volunteer for the servant center here (https://www.theservantcenter.org/get-involved)
- Greensboro Science Center- (https://www.greensboroscience.org/get-involved/volunteer/index.html)
- Horsepower- A horse therapy non-profit. Sign up to volunteer here (https://www.horsepower.org/vounteer)