2020-2021 Request for Reassignment will begin April 1st - July 1st.
Please click here to Request for Reassignment
Instructions are posted below on how to create an account.
This request will be an online process. Everyone will need an account
in order to request reassignment. If you are new to GCS or do not have
an account please view this link on how to create the online account.
For a Parent Guide click Online Enrollment System
If the request is for child care/day care for a student in grades K-8, the Child Care Supervision Form and the Employer Verification Form must also be completed and returned along with the Request for Reassignment Form.
- Requests for transfers are reviewed and appropriate decisions made based on reason(s) for request and space availability in requested school.
- Requests for Reassignment should be made between April 1 and July 1.
- No more than one reassignment request per student will be granted each year.
- Approved reassignment will remain approved till the student's completed grade level at the school.
- Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school for reassigned students.
- The Student Assignment Office may rescind a reassignment if the student has problems with behavior, tardiness or unexcused absences. If the reassignment was granted for specific academic programs, the student must meet the expectations of that program in order to continue participation and the reassignment.
- The reassignment process does not include elementary/middle magnet schools and high school option programs. Those programs are administrated by Policy/Procedure IEM and IEM-P
- Further details on student reassignment can be found in
Forms in Spanish
The forms and policy referenced above may be downloaded in Spanish through these links:
Appeal of the Reassignment Denial
If the reassignment request is received by July 1 and is denied, the applicant, within five (5) days after receiving notice of the denial, may apply in writing to the Director of Student Assignment for a hearing with a Board of Education panel. After submission of the request for a hearing:
- The parent(s) or court-appointed guardian/custodian will receive notification from the hearing officer of the day and time of the hearing.
- At the hearing, the panel shall consider the applicant's written documentation as previously provided and the applicant will be given ten (10) minutes to provide oral presentation to the panel citing why the initial decision to deny the request was in error.
- The Board of Education panel, at its discretion, may consider additional documentation regarding the request for reassignment.
- Five (5) minutes will be allotted for the panel to pose questions.
- The panel's decision will be forwarded to the full Board and the applicant will be advised of the Board's decision. Persons wishing to appeal their assignment requests to the Board shall be granted the opportunity to appeal each decision one (1) time during the school year.