JMS Counseling Department Staff
Deidre Dumas Hightower-6th Grade School Counselor
(See Ms. Hightower's website for rising 7th grade registration information)
Phone Number: 336-819-2100, Ext. 1202
Pamela Davis-7th Grade School Counselor
Phone Number: 336-819-2100, Ext. 1204
Alisha Fuller-8th Grade School Counselor
Phone Number: 336-819-2100, Ext. 1203
Melody Mathews-Office/Guidance Support
Phone Number: 336-819-2100, Ext. 1220
Once the incident has come to attention of the counseling dept., the general approach is as follows;
- Identify alleged victim; identify alleged offender(s); if the offender is in another grade level, notify that student’s grade level counselor asap.
- Speak with alleged victim to determine facts about time, place, witnesses.
- Document and/or have the alleged victim document.
- During the session, discuss strategies, coping skills and next steps.
- If appropriate, meet with the alleged offender. Document and/or have the alleged offender document.
- If appropriate, contact parent(s) and give feedback as to actions taken to ensure the well-being of their student.
- Document and/or discuss with grade-level administrator. If appropriate, notify alleged victim’s/offender’s teachers so they may monitor moving forward, especially where the alleged victim may be more vulnerable(i.e. transition, lunch). Advise teachers of any plans that were put in place. Advocate to any staff in the building who may be helpful to the student.
- At a later date, follow up with teachers to determine if the situation is resolved.