VS @ The Academy at Lincoln
Very Strong (VS)
For students in grade 4-8, Guilford County Schools (GCS) offers one full-time, separate setting AG program for highly gifted students. This program is housed on the campus of The Academy at Lincoln. Very Strong (VS) students are served in all four core subjects (Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies) by the classroom teacher. VS classroom teachers must hold North Carolina state licensure in Academically Gifted instruction, as well as their subject/grade level certifications.
- Click here to read quotes from current VS parents.
- Click here to read answers to commonly asked questions about the VS Program. These answers have been provided by VS parents.
- Click here to visit The Academy at Lincoln's webpage.
- Click here if your child is not currently enrolled in Guilford County Schools, but you have an interest in applying for the VS Program.
For all GCS students, each spring, after End-of-Grade (EOG) tests, students in grades 3-7 are reviewed for possible eligibility for the VS Program. Additional evaluation may be required to determine a student's eligibility. In these cases, students are invited to participate in summer testing. For 2021-2022 considerations, invitations to summer testing will be sent following the receipt of the 2021 EOG data. In order to participate in the summer testing opportunity, the parent must agree to enroll their child in the VS Program should their child meet the established criteria.
VS eligibility is determined annually. If a student is deemed eligible for VS services, their eligibility is only valid for the school year stated in the student’s eligibility letter. A family may decline VS services. However, should the family desire for their child to attend in subsequent years, VS eligibility will need to be reestablished based on the VS criteria stated below.
Criteria for Eligibility: VS (Grades 4-8)
The following criteria must be met to receive Very Strong (VS) services. Student progress is reviewed each year to determine if services should change or remain the same.
- Aptitude: 97th percentile or greater
- Reading Achievement: 97th percentile or greater
- Math Achievement: 97th percentile or greater
- Science Achievement and Social Studies Achievement: separate achievement scores or a composite score of 95th percentile or greater
- Grades: Average of “A” in each of four core subjects
A performance task may be available to supplement one eligibility criterion if all other eligibility criteria have been met. The AG teacher/TAG Chairperson in your school can provide more information.
Additional questions regarding VS services can also be directed to Dr. Dee Jordan at email@example.com or (336)370-8322.
If your child does not currently attend a GCS school, please refer to the New to Guilford County Schools tab in the menu to the left for information on how the district determines VS eligibility for non-GCS students.